Rat Removal: What Rats Are Doing in Autumn
In autumn, roof rats begin to prepare for the colder winter months. They will start to gather food and nesting materials to build warmer nests. They may also start to explore new areas in search of food and shelter, as their natural food sources begin to dwindle.
Roof rats are good climbers, so they can easily access the upper parts of structures, such as attics and roofs. They can also squeeze through very small openings, so it is important to seal up any potential entry points to your home.
Here are some of the things that roof rats do in autumn:
- Gather food: Roof rats are omnivores, so they eat a variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, insects, and even small animals. In autumn, they will start to gather food to store for the winter. They may store food in their nests, or they may hide it in other places around your property.
- Build warmer nests: Roof rats build their nests in warm, secluded places. In the autumn, they may start to build new nests, or they may improve their existing nests to make them warmer. They may use a variety of materials to build their nests, such as leaves, grass, twigs, and insulation.
- Explore new areas: As their natural food sources begin to dwindle, roof rats may start to explore new areas in search of food and shelter. They may be attracted to homes and businesses that have food sources, such as garbage cans, compost bins, and pet food bowls.
How to prevent roof rats from invading your home in autumn:
- Seal up any potential entry points to your home, such as cracks in the foundation, holes in the roof, and vents.
- Trim back tree branches and shrubs that are close to your home.
- Keep garbage cans and compost bins tightly closed.
- Store pet food in airtight containers.
- Clean up any spills or messes immediately.
- Inspect your home regularly for signs of roof rats, such as droppings, gnaw marks, and nests.
If you see signs of roof rats in your home, call the rat removal and exclusion specialists at Omega Animal Removal today!